The Atlanta Community Symphony is seeking an Artistic Director & Conductor. Position start date September 2020, pending appointment. Finalists will audition during the 2019-2020 season. Auditions will consist of six rehearsals and one concert. This is a part-time position. The Artistic Director & Conductor will receive a monthly stipend and report to the Governing Board and General Manager. A three-year commitment is required, not including the audition season.
About the Orchestra:
Entering its 61st season, the ACSO provides symphonic orchestral training and performance opportunities for serious Atlanta-area musicians and quality, low-cost symphonic performances for audiences in the Atlanta area.
The ACSO promotes the appreciation and enjoyment of music, reaches out to diverse communities throughout greater Atlanta, and provides educational and cultural opportunities for musicians and audiences.
Artistic Director & Conductor Responsibilities:
– Serve as music director and conductor for a high-level volunteer orchestra that is culturally and generationally diverse.
– Recommend the concert repertoire for four or five concerts per season.
– Select guest artists
– Coordinate and judge the annual Ruth Kern Young Artists’ Concerto Competition.
– Lead all ACSO rehearsals and provide notes for the players
– Conduct ACSO concerts
– Participate in the audition process and selection of musicians
– Work to expand programming to include chamber groups and smaller ensembles
– Maintain effective communication with the ACSO members and Governing Board
– Participate in budget planning
– Familiarity with Atlanta area musicians who can fill ad hoc vacancies in the orchestra
– Coordinate with the diverse Atlanta community to bring awareness of the orchestra and reach out to underserved areas.
– Understand and connect with the Atlanta music scene and cultural life
– Grow the reputation of the orchestra within the Atlanta community.
– Take an active role in the orchestra’s outreach, fundraising, and educational activities.
The ideal candidate will have at least one year of experience leading a professional or community orchestra. Strong communication, leadership and organizational skills are essential. A detailed knowledge of orchestra operations, including understanding of concert programming and a broad range of orchestral repertoire is required.
The position requires collaboration with the General Manager, Governing Board, and members of the orchestra. The Artistic Director & Conductor will serve as the public face of the ACSO and be able to meet the challenges facing the orchestra with creative solutions. The ideal candidate will be able to broaden the ACSO audience by programming compelling and exciting concerts.
Bachelors degree in Music Performance, Conducting, or Music Education is required.
Atlanta is the capital of Georgia and boasts a thriving business center with an eclectic mix of residents. Atlanta offers a wide selection of music, theater, and museums. While Atlanta is a fast-growing modern city, it has a special place in American history, particularly in the Civil Rights movement. Atlanta is home to CNN Center, Centennial Olympic Park, and The Martin Luther King, Jr. National Historic Site.
Required Application components:
– Personal letter of interest with link to conducting samples (preferably from a concert and a rehearsal) using YouTube, Vimeo, or another video-sharing site
– Short biographical statement
– Three professional references, to be submitted after finalists have been selected
– Applications must be received by February 1, 2019.
Please submit your application to email@example.com with your name in the subject line. Your documents should be clearly labeled with your first and last name in a PDF format.